Through the intersection of performances, arts education, and civil engagement, Desi Dance Network seeks to:
- Empower South Asian artists by creating and developing safe spaces for artistic and creative growth.
- Increase diversity in the entertainment workforce by providing a continuum of work-based learning experiences and opportunities.
- Promote South Asian Performing Arts in the United States.
- Build a supportive and empowering community within the collegiate and high school Desi dance circuits.
Desi Dance Network exists to combat cultural erasure and challenge the mainstream notions of identity by providing a platform that promotes narratives through Desi dance, music, and arts. We envision a continuum of work-based learning and artistic development opportunities that allows our youth and young adults to create global movements shifting perceptions of art, community, and identity.
- We acknowledge and honor the fundamental value and dignity of all individuals.
- We pledge ourselves to creating and maintaining spaces that respect diverse traditions, cultures, and experiences.
- We are committed to developing partnerships with similar, high quality organizations in order to best serve our target population, as well as capture best practices from our field of work.
- We are dedicated to providing high quality events and services.
Desi Dance Network exists to redefine and promote the shifting identity of South Asian dance, music, and other performance arts in the United States by bridging the gap between South Asian culture and American influence. Our mission is driven by our necessity to celebrate culture and to foster communities of performance artists across the United States. We fill a need for creative approaches to artist development by embracing, rather than dismissing the complex intersectionality of our identities.
At Desi Dance Network...
We are united in our passion for the preservation of Desi performing arts, as well as our shared experiences as first, second, and third generation South Asian artists in the United States. We are dedicated to fostering our community of South Asian performing artists and strive to provide a platform for fellow artists to showcase their exceptional talents.