Elliot YJ You, a senior at North Carolina State University, is an Arts Studies major with a concentration in music. He chose this path because he is passionate for music and felt that it would be something that he would thoroughly enjoy. After he graduates, he plans on moving to North Hollywood, California to pursue a career in dance. His goal is to get signed, by an agency, and work in the professional dance industry. One day he dreams to dance on tour, with artists like Chris Brown, Usher, Justin Timberlake, and Beyonce, and travel the world to teach dance workshops.
What are your interests/hobbies?
I obviously love dancing so I train every moment that I can. Some ways I train include attending workshops and conventions all over the east coast as well as practicing in my free time. Other than dancing, I love to play and listen to music because before I discovered dance, music was my greatest passion. I enjoy playing the violin, guitar, piano, drums, and bass guitar. Playing basketball is also one of my favorite hobbies. Like any college student, I love eating and sleeping whenever I have the time to.
What got you into dancing?
I was inspired at a young age by the videos of Korean pop stars performing hit songs that my mom would show me. According to my parents, I would get up and mimic the dancing on the screen. I grew up playing music and basketball and never thought dancing was something that I would want to do, but since a young age, I was interested in it. I was re-inspired around my middle school and high school days by the Jabbawokeez and individual dancers like Lyle Beniga and Shaun Evaristo. Once I got to college, I decided to give dance a shot because people urged me to try out for some of the hip hop teams at my school and it turned out to be the best decision of my life because I found my purpose in life.
What team(s) do you dance for? Why did you join? What positions have you held?
I dance for Fusion Dance Crew, NCSU Nazaare, Just Cuz Crew, and The Production. I joined all the hip hop teams my freshman year because I was so inspired to learn as much as I could and because I wanted to have experiences performing. I joined Nazaare my sophomore year because my best friend Vijay Sadanani convinced me to come to auditions with him. I was one of the head choreographers for Fusion Dance Crew during the 2014-2015 season and am one of the head choreographers for the crew this season as well. I also contributed pieces of choreography for NCSU Nazaare every year since 2013 and am currently the artistic director and one of the head choreographers.
What has been your favorite moment so far? What are you most excited for?
My favorite moment was my most recent performance with Nazaare at AKR 2015 where we also was fortunate enough to place 1st. Backstage, we were all very nervous yet excited to go on stage and leave everything we had on that stage. Our theme that year was dedicated to the story of how one of our teammates, Neerali Patel, fought cancer and won. To be able to share that moment on stage with her and with the team was incredible. The energy was one that the whole team had never felt before. It was easily the most memorable performance that I have ever had in my dance career so far. Overall I just love performing because the crowd is always so hype and gives me so much energy. I also love my team’s dynamic, which always gives me even more energy and joy on stage. I’m most excited for seeing our team grow as dancers and as people throughout the rest of the year.
What are some quotes that you believe in and live by?
- I strongly believe that one can achieve anything if he or she wants it badly enough.
- Don’t make excuses for why you can’t do something or why you aren’t as good as you want to be or as good as someone else. Be confident and diligent! Don’t compete with others; compete against yourself to become better than you were the day before.
- Be confident in your abilities and have faith in yourself and you can achieve anything with hard work!
- If you love something enough, you’ll make time for it.
What are 3 fun facts about you?
- I absolutely despise riding the ride at amusement parks/fairs where you sit in those chairs and swing around in circles at high altitudes. I’m not scared of heights, but this ride scares me to death. I love roller coasters/drops and stuff. Swingy chairs are evil.
- I could eat peanut butter sandwiches every day for the rest of my life.
- People always ask me what type of Asian I am and I respond by convincing people that I am from West Korea (doesn’t exist).
Please feel free to follow Elliot You on any of these social media accounts!
Booking E-mail: ElliotYJYou@gmail.com
Below is a link to an awesome choreography created by the talented Elliot You: